Wednesday, November 01, 2006

New Wheels

I went home this past weekend to swap wheels with my Mom's totaled 1998 V70 XC. She had what Volvo calls Silver Naiad wheels while I had Argo wheels. I asked a lot of questions on different forums and it seemed that everything would match up with the exception of the tires, which in the end wasn't a big deal since my tires have more tread life left.

We got to the body shop put the car up on jack stands and took the wheels off. We looked at the diameter difference and yeah it was big, but like I said my tires had more tread life so swapping them was worth it.

We went to STS and had them mount and balance the tires. On the way back to the body shop we noticed a slight vibration, we didn’t think of anything of it. We swapped the wiper blades and the rear wiper arm. I also snagged the mats from the trunk. I was real tempted to swipe her driver seat, but the insurance company would probably throw a fit and I’m sure there would be another problem.

As we were driving back home the vibration got worse and because of time we couldn’t get back to the STS we delt with earlier, we had to find another. The problem then was that they too were closing and couldn’t take us. We ended up at Sears where they rebalanced the tires. 2 of the wheels were off by 2 oz, 1 was off by 1.5 oz, and the third was on the ball. In the end it all worked out, took a little longer than we thought, but all is well. The car looks great and the ride is probably as smooth as its ever been.

Before:

After:

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home