Sunday, January 15, 2006

PNP Switch

The PNP switch is a common problem with the 850 series. Fortunately it is a relatively easy fix. This summer in Michigan I thought I had a transmission problem. After going through everything I could find on the transmission in my wagon I determined that I needed a new PNP switch. Well after buying it, I figured out that nothing was wrong and that I just wasn't used to the transmission.

In more recent times I've noticed that my reverse lights weren't coming on either right away or at all. Doing a little more research and consulting my mechanic I came to the conclusion that my mechanic had. The PNP switch was going bad. On average once the reverse lights failed it would take about 6 months for the switch to fail completely and leave me stranded. This winter break I took my car in for a few things that I couldn't figure out, such as a weird rubbing noise while making right hand turns, I had my mechanic raising replace the switch.

For those that don't know what a PNP switch is here is a brief summary. The PNP switch tells the transmission what gear it is supposed to be in such as Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive, Third, Low.

Mileage: 192,000

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home